Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Song that are good.

By Mada!

My friend Jake and I recently decided to attempt to make a list of our top 10 songs. This is one of the hardest things I have ever done and I'm still not sure it's quite right but I thought I'd share with you all what I came up with.

(in no particular order)

1. Fans- Kings of Leon
This song was introduced to me via a mix from the one and only Carrie McMenamin. I really love this song's bluesy country rock feel. It just makes you feel at home.

2. Miami 2017- Billy Joel
Fuck you guys Billy Joel is fantastic. It starts out with a perfect piano melody and it's chorus is the kind of beautifully catchy melody that you absolutely never get tired of. It makes you feel like you're really there, looking at the city lights and listening to Billy play his piano at some underground club.

3. Run Away With Me- the Unauthorized Biography of Samantha Brown
This song is from a very new and very obscure musical. It is all about love, the open road, freedom and escape. These being my biggest weakness when it comes to literature and music make it no surprise that I am obsessed with this song. It is also one of the prettiest melodies and most romantic ideas out there.

4. Purple Haze- Jimi Hendrix
Well yeah. I mean this is the most famous Hendrix song for a reason. It's fucking good. I could listen to this everyday in whatever mood and it would be just right. It has so much soul and so much rock and musically quite intricate. Not to mention badass.

5. Times They Are A'Changin- Bob Dylan
Again I realize I probably seem really predictable with this choice but this is a damn good song. I used to have iffy feelings about Bob Dylan but this song really pushed me over the edge. I love the folk feel, the lamenting harmonica and the lyrics that really sum up the feeling of a generations.

6. We Run- Sugarland
This is a country song. It is by a popluar country band that is still popular on country radio. I know these facts might turn away many of my music snob friends point blank but that's fine with me. This is another example of a freedom, open road, love type of song. It is optimistic and has that idea that with young love you can go absolutely anywhere and be whatever you want to be.

7. Road To Joy- Bright Eyes
For one there's nothing like an indie song based off of a famous Beethoven theme. Beethoven is probably my favorite classical composer so this song automatically had a leg up. It is also hard to resist it's driving beat and it's rather nonsensical stressed out pessimistic theme. Plus once Conor Oberst yells "let's fuck it up boys, make some noise" it's pretty damn hard to not scream along with them. (when in public...)

8. Hallelujah- Jeff Buckley
I would like to start out by saying that I know this song was originally by Lenard Cohen but to be honest I hate Lenard Cohen's voice so much that his version just about ruins the song for me. This is possibly the prettiest song ever written. Which is a real hefty statement, but damn. It is sad and depressing and pleading and praising all at the same time. Oh and the sigh at the beginning. Classic (Just like Brian).

9. Sympathy For The Devil- The Rolling Stones
I think it's probably clear that I'm a sucker for 60's and 70's rock. Whatever. This song is catchy and badass and makes you feel better than everyone else but not too heavy. That's all I want in a song. As much as I love beautiful songs and cool indie music if I don't have something to blast and rock out to in my car I die. So.

10. I Guess I'll Forget The Sound, I Guess, I Guess- Bodies of Water
This song was introduced to me by the aforementioned Jake via another mix. This song is epic. It blows my mind every time I listen to it and I find it almost impossible to not listen to it all the way through. It's got layers and echos and background choruses. It's message is also a bit confusing and it takes a few listens to really get an interpretation of it. This just makes it even more intriguing.

So yeah, look that shit up. Or don't . It won't really affect my life.

1 comment:

  1. made my day. So ill make your new mix this afternoon.
    -Carrie

    ReplyDelete