Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Is there such a thing as too much music?

-Mada "the biz" Larson

The other day my dad was telling me about how he was thinking of buying my mother an mp3 player. He was doing some research and was trying to find the best deal out there for "a good little device". Why don't you just get an iPod? was my response. He said my mom didn't need one. This confused me. i pointed out that iPods were top of the line technoloy, were extremely sturdy and came with a ridiculous amount of storage. My dad's response? "You and Allegra live and die by those things. This is just for when mom gets the urge to listen to some music." And he was right.

I do live and die by my ipod.
Last night I needed something to fall asleep to so I went to bed with my ipod set to the 15 minute sleep timer.
This morning I needed something to wake me up so i turned on my itunes while I got ready.
Riding my bike and walking to class are such mundane activities that I can't imagine doing them without a soundtrack.
When I'm in a hurry and end up grabbing my lunch by myself I put in my headphones for entertainment as well as to show everyone around me that I'm not lonely I'm just independent and can enjoy my own time. You don't need to sit down and introduce yourself. I'M FINE.
After class I decided to go on a run and needed something to pump me up and keep me going to I blasted my Kesha playlist the whole way.
When I'm doing homework that doesn't require a lot of reading you can bet that my itunes is doing work too.
And you know what I'm going to do when I go to bed? Probably set my ipod to the 15 minute sleep timer and drift off.

I've always thought of music as something you cannot live without. It's art, it's pure and it goes well with pretty much anything. But am I too plugged in? Is listening to music an absurd amount of time each day keeping me from appreciating my surroundings? From meeting new people? Is it making me too removed from my own situation? Possibly. Very possibly.

I have a proposition for all of you. Put away your ipod for a bit. Let that baby rest. See what a day not glued to it is like. Listening to a new band is awesome, but meeting a new friend is awesomer.

5 comments:

  1. I reluctantly tried your challenge, Mada. My iPod died...and it's killing me. I'm overusing my computer's iTunes because I have an obsession with music and how it correlates to my life. And all because at a Brian Wilson concert, Brian Wilson advised the audience to "Add some Music To Your Day."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my ipod the second week of school and permanently locked myself out of facebook forever (on accident) and just recently broke my headphones . . . I've made like twooo maybe three new friends since!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 15 MINUTE SLEEP TIMER? HOW DOES ONE ACCOMPLISH THIS?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought Sufjan and Belle & Sebastian's new albums yesterday. No can do, Mada.

    -Conor

    ReplyDelete