Saturday, October 16, 2010

Highlight Reel

The montage is one of the greatest things ever created by mankind. To put it simply, it's just a whole bunch of awesome put into a sequence of some sort, cutting out all the boarshit (this word is stupid and I'm including it out of spite...to myself?). Montages can be used in an assortment of ways, from reminiscing about all of the awesome and epic fights that I, Gohan, have witnessed and been a part of, to a poster board full of pictures of me being awesome in various ways (Robert had the least people come to that party for him. Fuck you, Griffin. You do not count). But anyway, this post isn't about what a montage is. It is, in itself, a montage of shit that has crossed my mind this past week or so that I have deemed blog-worthy. Sorry if it isn't very cohesive and doesn't make a lot of sense.

Perhaps it's just me, but when I hear certain songs, I wish I had an incredible singing voice or sick-as-hell guitar skills. I always picture myself performing the song and having everyone be in love with me for it. On that note, I shall make a list of artists who have said effect on me, somewhat in order. Also included is my favorite quote from that particular artist and the song from which it originates.

1. Harry McVeigh (White Lies, leading vocals/guitar) - I don't know how many people really listen to White Lies, but I can't stop. His voice enthralls me, and their deep and somewhat twisted lyrics really fascinate me.
"You whispered, 'Where are you?'. I questioned your doubt, but soon realized you were talking to God, now." (Unfinished Business)
2. Jack White (The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, lead vocals/guitar) - What a mother fucking badass. I don't know about any of you, but I think he's the best in The Dead Weather. I love that band. Mr. White has a one-of-a-kind voice that any fan could easily distinguish from a mile away.
"If I left, you'd never see me again. I wouldn't leave a trace." (Blue Blood Blues)
3. Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie, The Postal Service, lead vocals/guitar) - OMGz I love you. I can't name any song that has been created by either of these bands that I don't like. The whole spectrum is covered, from inspirational/touching to pump up/rock out. Also, I'd have to say The Postal Service is the best side project band ever. Good work on marrying Zooey Deschanel by the way, Ben.
"If Heaven and Hell decide that they both are satisfied, illuminate the No's on their vacancy signs." (I Will Follow You Into The Dark)
4. Thomas Mars (Phoenix, lead vocals) - Before Lollapalooza, I had never actually seen what the band members look like. So when Mr. Mars walked up to the mike, the first thought that ran through my mind was, "You're kidding, right? This guy is a rockstar?" No offense to him, but he looks so timid and dorky to me. However, he blew me away with his performance, and to this day Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix remains one of my favorite and most listened to albums, ever.
"From the mess to the masses." (Lisztomania).
5. John Gourley (Portugal. The Man, lead vocals/guitar) - This guy's range is insane. I thought he was a girl the first time I was introduced to this band (Thanks, Cory). That isn't even meant as an insult. That's just saying he hits those high notes like a mofo. I was fortunate enough to have the chance to meet him and the rest of the band when they played on campus. Just one more reason I love college.
"If you work all day, you keep the rhythm through the night. If you work all night, you keep the rhythm through the day." (Work All Day)
6. Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse, vocalist/guitar) - If you ever find someone that sounds remotely like him, lemme know. His voice demands my attention and respect. And even when he isn't singing, this is one of those bands that establish their identity to me as soon as the song starts, even if I haven't heard that particular song in months.
"Oh, the dashboard melted, but we still have the radio." (Dashboard)
"You missed where time and life shook hands and said 'goodbye'." (Ocean Breathes Salty)
7. Ben Bridwell (Band of Horses, vocalist/guitar) - Some people may think that Band of Horses is just another rock band and that they're no big deal. Wrong. Fuck you. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is that make them so special to me. All I know is that their music touches me, and I've literally shed tears while listening to The Funeral.
"I'm coming up only to hold you under. I'm coming up only to show you wrong." (The Funeral)
8. (Led Zeppelin) - I really can't single out any one person or component that makes this band what it is - fucking legendary. Jimmy Page rocking out on guitar, Robert Plant mind-fucking you with his delicious voice, John Paul Jones making your bones vibrate with his bass skillz, and John Bonham smashing into your eardrums on drums makes for possibly the best. band. ever. Led doesn't deserve a place this far down on my list, but I just don't really know where to put them. I guarantee that every band I listed above was heavily influenced in some way by LZ.


Uncharted 2 on crushing mode is hard as balls. Fuck that bastard on the train who can just absorb bullets but somehow can't withstand Drake's punches. What an asshole. Also, I'm inexplicably bad at controlling Drake's rolling. It's constituted about 75% of my deaths.

On that note, I'd like to point out something I've noticed about myself. I'm ridiculously competitive. I may not seem like it initially, but I discretely try to position myself to be the best at just about everything I undertake. And if I don't think I have a shot at being the best, I don't do it. This clearly has it's flaws and advantages. I probably miss out on tons of shit that I'd really enjoy, but on the other hand it makes me look like less of a failure in those certain categories. The one main exception to this rule is class, the universe's cruel rape of my soul. I love the college atmosphere, but to be honest, if the current world didn't basically demand a college degree to get a halfway decent job, I probably wouldn't be here. This has instilled in me a laziness and lack of motivation in the academic field that may soon be my downfall. I've fallen into that mindset of just getting grades that are good enough to get by on, which I swore to myself I wouldn't do after 4 years of doing just that in high school. Dammit, Brian. CLASSIC.

I beat the pokemon quiz. 3 times. Fuck yeah.

I can't sleep before 3 in the morning anymore, and it seems to be getting worse each passing day. This only compounds my academic problems...

My feelings of being pathetic, lonely, and hollow these days could give Conor a run for his money, and I still got more game than Ricky Stone.

It sucks that in today's economy I have to make a choice between studying something I love and enjoy and something that has a potential job market and makes money. When being told about this dilemma I have, my family proved to be very vapid and shallow, demanding that I remain in the engineering program because media is a dried up, fruitless field. However, I tend to forgive them given their current financial plight. They just want better for me. I want better for me as well, which is why I chose this field in the first place, but I realize that I really fucking hate math. Do I tough it out and become rich and famous, or do I give it all up for my passion in media? What a fucking terrible choice that is to make. The one bright side of this is that for the first time in years, I had a real conversation with my dad in which I didn't get inexplicably irritated at him. Granted, it was depressing, because he basically told me that he didn't want me to be like him and end up with a dead end job and a degree not applicable to his life. But I was really happy that I could finally talk to him again. We used to be best friends when I was a kid, but somewhere along the line I lost my ability to talk to him at all. He's a great dad, and although sometimes he has a short fuse, he's the most caring and affectionate father you can get. He does everything for his family, and I have a lot of respect for him for all the shit he puts up with. He doesn't deserve me being an asshole to him for no reason. He's always trying to just talk to me and be part of my life because he wants to be there for me, and I just yell at him and tell him to leave me alone. I feel like I'm finally moving past that back to where we used to be now that I've put some distance between us with me being at college and no longer under my parents' thumb. I need that a lot.

Sorry shit got so heavy right there. I know most people aren't really aware, but I've had a lot of emotional issues that I don't always handle well. I feel like maybe sometimes I'm a bit dramatic (now, perhaps), but it's just how I feel. Thanks to those people who have always been there for me. You know who you are.

Classic out.

1 comment:

  1. My derogatory nickname within the frisbee team is Ass Grenade and I still have more game than ricky stone.

    - Ass Grenade

    ReplyDelete