Monday, September 20, 2010

Nick - A Proposal

Because I'm very introspective in nature, I've been very tuned into the invisible but all-controlling dynamics of social interaction since I've been in Champaign. I like to watch how people respond to various courses of interaction, and examine the subtle difference between a smooth conversation and an awkward one.

When you think about it, freshman year of college is like a laboratory for social experiments: nobody has a preconceived notion of you, so their impressions will be tailored entirely to your actions and mannerisms. And there are an infinite number of potential test subjects. So allow me to discourse on the hypotheses, experiments, and conclusions I've formed thus far.

Eye Contact: Necessary or Weird?
I decided the other day to do an experiment: make eye contact with everybody I could while walking. And I did. And it was weird. My instincts were screaming the whole time; who does that? Who do I think I am to stare at casual passers-by like that? I really just did this because I felt like I need to work on my interpersonal skills, so I decided I'd keep doing it.
Here's the interesting part: I did it again today after my first improv practice, so I was more energetic and excited, and it wasn't weird at all. People generally smiled back at me, and one girl I don't know said hi to me. Pretty sweet. Anyway, we can draw some pretty solid conclusions from this:
1. It's about self-confidence. And I don't mean fake self-confidence like I tried to force upon myself in the first scenario, I mean that you have to be in a state of feeling good and high energy. People can sense it.
2. The smile! Anybody can fake a smile. You have to mean it.

I feel like these conclusions extend into the broader world of social interactions: the trait absolutely necessary for interpersonal interactions is sincerity. A sincere feeling of wanting to talk to other people and a sincere smile and energy.

You may have noticed this is titled "A Proposal." I actually do have a proposal for you, so don't think you're getting off easy: I want all of you to try it. Next time you're in a state of high energy, look strangers in the eye. Start conversations if you're in an environment conductive to that.

Maybe you aren't socially anxious like I am and this doesn't seem like a big deal to you. But if you can see where I'm coming from, I want you to join me in stepping out of your comfort zone.

-Nick.

2 comments:

  1. I'd rather just keep bumping into them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote this before Robert's went up. I find the juxtaposition hilarious. Keep doing your thing, man.

    -Nick.

    ReplyDelete