Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mada posting at 9:30 on Tuesday. Nice!

Do you listen to the radio? To a normal audience the question would warrant an automatic yes, but I know my fellow members of Classic Brian and probably whoever reads our posts are not all radio-listeners. Anyway, my answer is yes. i do listen to the radio, and I've noticed something pretty interesting. We are in currently in the ear of Pop Divas. Top 40 is knee deep in women, just like Eliot at college. And furthermore, I don't hate it.

1. Taylor Swift- I don't give a fuck what none y'all say Taylor Swift is talented and I love her. She is a very young solo artist who has already come out with 3 albums. Oh yeah and she writes her own songs. In some genres this is no great feat, but in the pop world it is almost impossible to write your own stuff and have it appeal to the masses. Taylor Swift has managed to do this time and time again.

2. Lady Gaga- Now Lady Gaga is one of those touchy subjects where opinions differ strongly and tension runs high. i personally side with the idea that she is a genius. Lady Gaga has figured out the exact formula of pop culture and has became an icon in a matter of months. Her rise was shocking and a bit confusing. She is, in my opinion, pop art. What she create, her image and her songs, are no necessarily "good" at face value but they are so perfectly constructed that you have to give her a hand.

3. Ke$ha- Kesha has absolutely no talent, stage presence, creativity or idea what's going on. She's a drunk whore.

4. Beyonce- I probably have more respect for Beyonce than I should but I love her. She is an amazing performer and an amazing singer. As far as pop music goes she really is pushing the envelope and coming up with new things. Her single-ladies video was in black and white and the entire thing consisted of her and two back up dancers dancing on a sound stage. The minimalism was jarring next to the other high budget videos we see today. And if you've never heard the song If I Were a Boy, I thoroughly recommend it. It is powerful and a bit unexpected because you keep expecting the build up to erupt in a belty bridge but it never comes.

5. Pink- Pink is someone I always kind of hated growing up. She had stupid songs and I thought her badass persona was dumb. My recent opinion of her has taken a complete 180. What's awesome about Pink's new stuff is that she really doesn't give a shit. She sings songs about her ex-husband that are real honest and usually has the attitude that she doesn't give a fuck because she's a rockstar. This is not an attitude that is often seen in female stars and it suits her well. I began wondering what had changed to make me like her music and after some research I found that she didn't really write her own stuff until her newest album. Good for you Pink, what you have to say is a lot cooler than what your label has to say.

6. Rhianna, Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, etc.- These people are pretty straight forward pop but have come out with a couple decent songs. They aren't really in the same category as the artists above but still contribute to the sheer number of females filling up the charts.

If you care to hear what I'm talking about You can always take a look at the playlist I made for this post.

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/20662715659

6 comments:

  1. I looooooove Taylor Swift. Listened to half of Fearless right before seeing this.

    Also, I feel Katy Perry deserves her own number. She has 4 hits. Ke$ha has 2. All are better than Ke$ha's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually really like K$sha. I don't care what the haters say.

    -Conor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ke$ha's a fucking cunt and Katy Perry may deserve her own number but i think she definitely has room to grow. also mada this was really a neat read.

    -Eliot

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I'm new to this whole bolgging thing but since im required to have a blogger account for english class i figured i'd give u guys my imput. There are just a few things i would like to get off my chest.
    1. Mada were still married so you better not be cheating on me at U of I.
    2. Connor you'll never be better than me at staring contest.
    3. eliot no matter what you do youre never gunna win fantasy.
    4. Brian ( i dont even know iff you in here) but the fact is, is that your pokemon collection is non-existant compared to mine.

    and finally...... mada i need a new splitpic so u shud prolly hop on tht asap.

    well thats it for now i love and miss you guys.
    Hugs and Kisses DJJD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ke$ha is my girl. Fuck Lady Gaga. Ke$ha is totally a way more attractive and better sounding drunk whore than Lady Gaga.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake, does this mean you are going to start blogging?

    ReplyDelete