Sunday, September 5, 2010

Laying out then class :)

PLEASE tell me how you spent each hour of the day. Please, 18 year old girl, let me know exactly what you did after working out and homework, and make sure to let me know if you’re tired. Also, don’t forget to add that you love life, just so that the rest of us in far off schools can have the relief and jealousy that you LOVE COLLEGE:)

I apologize to friends and acquaintances alike, but if I haven’t asked you, then knowing your class schedule and happiness fluctuations throughout the day aren’t what I want to see when I open Facebook. Granted, I have a Facebook (I mean what should I expect?), but I’d like to believe it’s to make communication easier, and communication, folks, is not shouting out constant glamorizations about one’s life, especially when it all revolves around mundane activities. Before I add another sentence with four too many commas, I’d like to say that I understand exciting things should be exclaimed and shared, even day to day things, but knowing that you just took a shower isn’t one of them.

But dammit, we love advertising ourselves too much, and it’s just so easy. I can take pictures with pretty people and have them up for the world to see in two minutes. Now everyone, from reading the captions and seeing the fun! can understand just how awesome my life has been these days.

I look at my status from last week and cringe already. It only takes a few days to get out of my current element and gain a little perspective. This isn’t to say that we should be real honest with our status or pictures, admitting to people who weren’t there that the two hot frat guys were good looking but real douches, and that the party last night wasn’t actually that fun. I also dont mean that exciting things should be left out of day to day life. What I’m saying is, maybe we don’t need to bling everything about ourselves. Maybe we should substitute self-advertising with self-reflection once in a while. Maybe we should spend some time being honest with people who care about us, giving them sincere updates and conversation about what’s going on, rather than Facebook blurbs for the masses. Or maybe we could just be honest with ourselves and come to the realization that half the kids out there are doing homework and going out too. Maybe, before we have kids, we could realize not everyone is interested in every minute of our day.

For a day,
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment