Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Classic Brian

Five minutes ago, I entrusted Conor O'Brien with the task of providing me an idea to write about. He failed. Good job Conor. I'm going to write about, well Classic Brian.

I came up with that idea all by myself guys!

Classic Brian is an idea that I don't think has often been tried by high school kids. After all, blogging is really lame. I mean, sure, tons of kids our age get the impression that they can write and they have the strict urge to express their ideas. Do they make blogs about it? Do they have the courage to look dumb in front of more than just themselves or their closestest friends? Maybe, who knows. If there are other blogs out there like this, I would like them to be pointed out to me. I'll read 'em. Shit.

Anyway, Classic Brian wasn't my idea. I should have locked the text that I got. It was something I immediately dismissed, but turned into this biz. "Me, you, and Tynan should make a comedy blog and call it Classic Brian." The text was, I begrudgingly admit, from Conor. He thinks he's funny, and he thinks Ty and I make good sidekicks for him. So the next night, at Classic's house, Conor brought up the subject to me. I still was apprehensive, but I had given it thought, and I realized it would be a good opportunity for me to put up words and pretend people are reading them. As for the name, Classic Brian, it stemmed from a Final Fantasy marathon. Brian proclaimed that the left corner of the seat was his entitlement, and that he said it was "classic me." Conor and I didn't let that one by us. Nope. We ran with it. We realllllly ran with it.

So I wavered back and forth and eventually he got me on board. Except it wasn't strictly a comedy blog, I could write about sports if I chose to do so. Also it wasn't going to be me him and Tynan, it was going to be a crew of seven of us. One day of the week each day. We bounced names and came up with a pretty good team. Conor, myself, Classic, Tynan, Nick, Robert and a girl. We tagged Mada, we still don't know why.

We set up an account at Classic's house THAT NIGHT and i contacted everyone and made sure they were down to write. They were. Nifty. I wrote out a mission statement, or as I like to call it, me rambling to see what a blog post actually looks like. It came out pretty decent, and I was excited for the blog. Even if we're the only ones reading it, we unanimously thought, it'll be fun. It's like the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, but different. (Side note: What a stupid stupid concept.) Tynan decided he couldn't think of anything to write about (a problem that seems to be afflicting us all here lately, is college over yet guys? Right? that's what they want, more college. RIGHT?). I stepped in, wrote a weirdly formatted post about myself and skidoops! We were off and running. I called Cory Robinson, whose pen is flyer than a piece of paper bearin' it's name. He accepted the offer and replaced Tynan. As for Ty, he found a sweet gig for himself elsewhere. Which by the way, I command you. If you read this, listen to that. Clustercuss on SLU's radio station. Good music and better DJ's and the best commercials money can buy. (GET IT? THERE ARE NO COMMERCIALS!)

We started posting more, I started pimping it on my Facebook and Twitter, and the weirdest thing happened. People started giving feedback. They referenced specific things I SAID. This HAD to mean they were actually reading the nonsense I was throwing out there. Holy crap. I will not be able to handle being a reporter if that day comes.

Classic Brian has become an interesting haven for people whose thoughts I'm interested in to have their ideas strewn about, like words ripped out of person's diary. Things that we have on our minds and can't stop thinking about, we get to just divulge all that worthless information to this page, and I think that's pretty cool. It certainly isn't a comedy blog, and we do tend to get a little overly sentimental, but it's certainly more than droning on about albums by bands you haven't heard much of mixed with sports updates that don't really matter. It's something interesting, something fresh, something fleshy and real.

I'm really glad we did this. And I hope you are too.

Soon I want to do a guest week. Where we all get a guest writer to throw something down for seven days straight. I've already got a few names in my head, I'll contact you if I want your wordsmanship. If I don't and you feel like writing something for Classic Brian, send me a message on Facebook or something. I'll see what we can do. Unless I don't really like you, in which case, you're probably fucked.

Anyway, I wanted to use this as a kind of thank you to the twenty five or so bored mofo's who take the time out of their day to read this. Every new person that tells me they read blows my mind every time. Be it a lot or a little. It's not huge, but it's still cool to think that you guys give half a shit what I say. Means the world. Well not the world, but probably like the state of Indiana. Which is a lot coming from me, I've never been East of Illinois. (MOM! DAD! THANKS!)

All in all, I had my doubts about this site at first, but I would definitely consider it a success story.

They should make a movie about this or something.

--Eliot Sill

PS. Happy birthday mom. I love you and I miss you!

9 comments:

  1. Is Cory still one of the seven? INTERESTING

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bullshit. Everybody look at Eliot Sill's wall where I suggested writing about Classic Brian. Buuuuuuulllllllshhhhiiiiit.

    -Conor

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was so after I logged off you asshole. and you know it. and yeah sorry for forgetting to mention your arrival brendan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that parts about me.

    -Mada

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that parts about how Mada can't speak English good.

    ReplyDelete