Monday, August 23, 2010

Nick - College And Stuff

Well, I here I am.

That statement actually applies in a couple of different connotations:
1. Here I am in college, making friends and experiencing new things
2. Here I am being pathetically predictable and writing a Classic Brian about my college experiences thus far.

But, alas, it's unavoidable. College is awesome. I'm going to write about it. So there.

Firstly, my living situation is pretty sweet. Does anybody else have air conditioning in their dorm? ...No? Just me? Well, fancy that. My roommate is pretty cool. I put him down for a 7.5 out of 10 on the bulletin board on our door. He's pretty quiet and tends to keep to himself, and then goes to frat parties in the evenings. I wonder if he's less quiet at frat parties? Maybe I'll follow him sometime.

The first weekend was a blur of activities that felt like an entire week. They host a ton of different activities for freshmen to get to know each other, and I pretty much hit them all up. (I know, it's not cool to go to university sponsored events when you could be getting drunk.) It's a little difficult to make friends sometimes when everybody is moving around in groups and doing activities, but I figured out that if I just sat down with people and pretended to be interested in whatever they were doing, I would make friends.

That's how I met a couple of girls whom I've been hanging out with semi-regularly. They are really into video games and are generally pretty geeky, which is a big deal for me because I never knew any girls that shared my geeky interests in Springfield. The coolest part about college is that there are all different kinds of people here. It might take some searching but you'll find somebody you mesh well with.

I also have several "class friends", as I call them in my head. Friends who I take a class with and so I see them frequently. Or at least I will, in the future. Classes just started today. There are also dorm friends who I eat lunch with in the dining hall and stuff. I sometimes sit down with people I don't know in the dining hall to see if I can make friends with them, but that always ends up being awkward for everyone.

I think the last thing I want to mention is that it's way too early to evaluate. I'm still new to all of this and it's still all just sinking in. I've signed up for a bunch of clubs, plus an improv and a sketch comedy troupe, and I haven't even been to a single meeting for them yet. I guess the point I'm trying to get across is just to be optimistic; there are cool people here that I've yet to meet, cool things here that I've yet to do, and way more experiences here and abroad that I want to live. So for those of you in college, go and have fun, and for those not in college yet, look forward to it. It can be a fun time.

No comments:

Post a Comment