Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Life Of Brian (Like The Monty Python Movie...Get It?)

Improv Comedy Music Variety Funtime Show in 3D was awesome. Good work everyone. The acoustic acts were very touching, EATIT was funnier than ever, and Trotsky and Band Practice rocked. I had a lot of fun. Which brings me to the topic of my post, and which is kind of a downer.

The 2 things i most regret not pursuing at this point in my life are improv and music. I'm not saying that I would have necessarily been successful at either, but I really wish I had at least tried. I know I would have really enjoyed both. I know that it's supposedly "never too late", but I feel like it is. I'm going to be going off to college in a few weeks and I probably won't have time to pursue things like that, especially since I'd be starting from scratch. I realize that it's entirely my fault for not trying. I foolishly bought a guitar, thinking "I have quite a bit of spare time with my lack of extra curriculars. I'll teach myself to play." Nope. Turns out I suck at teaching myself anything, especially music. I lack the motivation to learn alone, and the money to hire someone to teach me.

That's why seeing my friends play music is always a bittersweet experience for me. They're all fantastic at what they do and i love listening to the awesome music they make, but in the back of my mind I'm always thinking, "Wow, it'd be really sweet if I could do that. What the fuck, Brian." That always makes me a little sad. I know I sound pathetic talking like it's too late to learn, and I'm going to try to actually make the effort sometime soon, but I lack faith in myself in this respect. Hopefully I can get my ass in gear and get some shit done.

No comments:

Post a Comment