Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tonight I got out of rehearsal at 12 am. Last night; 12:30 am. I currently have a pound of make up on my face and my neck is red from ripping off my mike tape every night. I have to wear a wig that is 12 feet long, weighs more than I do, and when I'm off stage I have to carry around the the excess hair in a trash bag. Sound like fun? probably not unless you're of the small sect of people who loves theater. I am one of those people.

Theater is a really strange, really intense community that most people don't even know about. It is a community full of the best and worst type of people. These are the people that are the most charismatic, often the funniest people you will meet. They are also the cockiest and often the meanest most dramatic people you will ever meet. In short, these people are characters. And they are addicting. And you hate them.

Now, I know i said that I was one of these people, but only the fringe. I do a couple shows here and there in the summer and I perform every once and a while in a teen improv troupe. These lack of dedication doesn't cut it for the true theater people. The hardcore people are never not in a show. As soon as one show closes they begin rehearsals for the next show. they are constantly trying for the biggest roles and they are so over it if they end up in chorus.

Why am i telling you this? Mostly because I am currently in a show, (Into the Woods opens this Friday at the Muni!) but also because I find it interesting how many people have no idea this underground community exists. Seriously, you guys don't even know. All these people know each other and hang out all the time. They have their own slang, their own drama and their own hierarchy. It's crazy. As fascinated as i am by all of this I'm not sure I'll ever fully be a part of this community by I thoroughly enjoy the time I spend in it during the summer. It is educational, entertaining and makes you appreciate your friends that never use the word "fierce". In short, come see my show. Please.

-Mada

No comments:

Post a Comment